- 1 bunch scallions, sliced thin, white and green parts separated
- 1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 8 cups water
- 3 (6-inch) pieces dried kelp (kombu)
- 1/4 cup bonito flakes
- 3 ounces dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1/2 cup light miso
- 1 pound baby bok choy, cut in quarters
- 8 ounces firm tofu, cut into cubes
- In a large soup pot over medium heat add the scallion white parts, ginger, garlic, and sesame oil. Cook for 1 minute and add 8 cups water.
- Rinse the kombu and add it to the pot along with the bonito flakes. Bring it to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes – do not let it boil.
- Remove the kombu and set it aside.
- Add the dried mushrooms and miso to the pot and let it simmer gently for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the mushrooms are hydrated and tender.
- Add the bok choy and simmer until it is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the tofu and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with the reserved green parts of scallions.